Landlord Regulations

Landlord Regulations & Obligations

PV Property Lettings believe in conducting all their business in a professional, efficient manner and there are certain legal obligations which our landlords must adhere to. We will be only too pleased to assist you with any queries you have relating to these and we can even arrange the safety certification for you.

Landlords Registration

Anyone who wishes to rent out their property must first register with their local authority to become a landlord. This is a system that has been put in place to ensure that all landlords meet the minimum standards required for letting property. Further information can be found at or

Mortgage Lenders Consent

Prior to leasing out your property you must inform your mortgage lender and receive written consent from them before proceeding.


As a landlord you must obtain Buildings and Contents Insurance specifically for a rented property as opposed to a standard residential policy. We can recommend the independent chartered insurance broker, Hazleton Mountford to find you relevant landlord insurance required for letting your property. Please visit for full details.

Energy Performance Certificate

It is a legal requirement that all landlords have a current Energy Performance Certificate for their property prior to advertising (valid for 10 years). This has been designed to enable prospective tenants to see how energy efficient the property is. We can arrange this for you if required.

Gas Safety Certificate

If your property has a gas supply then by law you are required to have a gas safety certificate carried out on a yearly basis. We can arrange this for you if required.

Income Tax

Income gained from letting a property is usually taxable. It is the landlord’s liability to complete a “Self Assessment” tax return annually. Full details on the HM Revenue & Customs website

Electrical Safety

We highly recommend that our landlords have both an EICR (Electrical installation condition report) and PAT (Portable appliance testing) carried out to ensure the safety of the electrical systems and appliances in their property. We suggest EICR’s are undertaken every 3 -5 years dependent on electrician’s recommendation, and PAT done yearly or at each tenant changeover (whichever comes first). By having these done the landlord can limit their risk of legal prosecution. We can arrange these for you if required.

Legionella Legislation

Health and safety legislation now states that landlords must carry out risk assessments for the Legionella bacteria which cause Legionnaires’ Disease and thereafter maintain control measures to minimise the risk. We can carry out this for you if required.

Non-Resident Landlords

For our overseas landlords we will require you to complete an NRL1 form. For further information on this please contact

Landlord’s Insurance

Landlords Property Owners Insurance

As a landlord your property will require the correct insurance policy. Many have policies that don't adequately protect them whilst letting but through Hazleton Mountford you can be assured you will gain cover based round your specific needs.

Rent & Legal Protection

Some clients prefer additional reassurance which can be achieved through Hazleton Mountford's Rent & Legal Protection. In the event of a rent default by a tenant the legal costs for eviction of the tenant are covered along with the rent itself.

View your account online